Introduction to ISO 22000:2018 – Food Safety Management System (FSMS)
From farm to fork, food safety is of utmost concern for all consumers. Contamination from lack of hygiene or mishandling of food, leads to the spread of diseases. This can be avoided should all food chain operators (such as those involved in manufacturing, producing, processing, preserving, catering, storing, packaging, transporting and operating of restaurants/cafes) implement a food safety management system to ensure the supply of hygienic and safe food products and services.
The ISO 22000:2018 standard defines the requirements for organisations, to demonstrate their ability in ensuring that food is safe for consumption. This standard serves as a guideline in the implementation of a food safety management system, comprising of effective processes and best practices to improve food safety.
potential benefits For organisations with ISO 22000:2018 in place:
Increased customer trust and satisfaction, through consistent provision of safe food products
Meeting of applicable statutory and regulatory requirements
Address business risks while focusing on organisational objectives
Increased organisational productivity and efficiency
Effective feedback for continual improvement
Roadmap to ISO 22000:2018 Certification
ISO 22000:2018 was published on 19 June 2018 and is to replace the previous edition - ISO 22000:2005. This standard establishes requirements of a Food Safety Management System and is intended for all organisations involved in the food chain, regardless of size or complexity.
By 18 June 2021, organisations must adopt this latest version of the ISO 22000:2018 standard; the previous 2005 version will not be recognised. To aid this transition, Stendard First™ creates the organisation-specific documents that adhere to ISO 22000:2018 within a day. Companies can implement the standard with ease.
+ Stage 1: Start preparing for the journey. Learn how to with Stendard.
- Gain an overview of regulatory requirements (catered to your business expansion strategy).
- Understand the requirements of the standard and know what quality practices need to be in place.
+ Stage 2: Automate the creation of your QMS documents with Stendard Solution™.
- Stendard Solution™ allows for efficient, automated document generation.
FSMS Manual and SOPs customised according to ISO requirements and your company specifics.
Form templates, ready for immediate implementation.
+ Stage 3: Begin putting your SOPs into practice. Digitalise this with Stendard Solution™.
- Set up your QMS with the implementation of processes.
The team at Stendard is able to support this with a step-by-step run-through of the clauses and SOPs to match your current business practices - tightening processes to be implemented, or modifying draft documents if necessary.
- With Stendard Solution™, maintain an updated, consolidated depository of your team's records, without physical limitations.
+ Stage 4: Perform your internal audit.
- Support from the team at Stendard includes:
Training on how to conduct an internal audit.
Proper diagnostic assessment before your first audit to ensure readiness.
- The Audit module within Stendard Solution™ includes a clause-by-clause checklist to ensure you have covered all the requirements of the standards.
+ Stage 5: Achieve your Certification!
(Given external audit by Certification Bodies)
- Passing your external audit would mean obtaining your ISO 22000:2018 certification!
- Every ISO 22000 audit follows a 3-year cycle: an initial audit, with surveillance audits each year for the next two years. After which, the cycle begins again.
- Maintaining your certification would require continued compliance to the standards. With Stendard Solution™, you can easily keep up with it!